-Moving, even when it’s the start of a new and exciting chapter in life, can be stressful and discouraging; so stressful, in fact, that too many tend to put off organizing and packing. The South Lake Tahoe movers from Owens Brothers Transfer have some tips to help families organize a stress-free move.
The most obvious first step is to allow plenty of time, but work, school, the kids after school activities and daily life seem to get in the way. But there are some simple steps that can make things happen quicker. Whether moving across town, to a neighboring town, or across the country, here are a few tips that make the move less stressful:
- Contact a moving company, get estimates for packing and for the move, then make the reservation.
- Doing your own packing? Rent a storage unit, ideally a portable unit, Portable On Demand Storage or PODS, that is delivered and picked up by the moving company. A portable unit is right outside the door and easy to fill. Otherwise, it’s schedule regular trips to the storage facility. The South Lake Tahoe movers from Owens Brothers Transfer offer full service storage, can pack and hold your goods, or deliver a moving POD, provide free moving consultation and written estimates.
- Rent a dumpster.
- Identify charitable organizations that take donations and are located on regular routes of travel, such as work, school and the grocery store.
- Get plenty of boxes and packing material. The moving company can help determine how many boxes, what sizes and the best packing materials.
- Start sorting and packing room-by-room. Set boxes of items to be donated aside, to be dropped off on a regular basis such as two or three days a week. If there’s room, put the boxes in the car.
- Identify a cabinet or closet in each room to store items that are needed up to the day of the move, such as kitchen items, clothing and linens and items that are traveling with you. Tape a list of the contents to the door.
- Mark boxes with contents and room as each box is filled.
- At the end of each sorting session, toss bags containing items to throw away into the rented dumpster.
- Box up items being given away or earmarked for a yard sale and store them in a specific place. Give friends and family a date to pick up items they want.
Do a little every day, no matter how tedious it seems. One box packed, one full trash bag tossed and one trip to drop off donations adds up to several items checked off the list.
The South Lake Tahoe movers serve South Lake Tahoe, Incline Village, Tahoe City, Truckee, Reno, Carson City and the entire basin. The full-service storage and moving company specializes in homes and businesses of all sizes. Local move? Long distance move? No problem! The company uses the same team of movers at both ends. The professional hand-picked team is trained to deliver the best quality in moving and storage. All team members are screened for the highest reliability and trustworthiness.
Owens Brothers Transfer
2589 Wildhorse Suite 6
Minden, NV 89423